Moving is a hassle, even if you’re moving to a place you’re excited about. Don’t let a stressful move dampen your excitement for your new home. Let these tips for a stress-free move make the transition as easy as possible.
Tips for a Stress-Free Move
The odds are good that moving isn’t something you look forward to. No matter how excited you are about your new home, getting your belongings there and settling yourself can be stressful. But moving doesn’t have to be an impossible hassle. If you follow these tips for a stress-free move, you might even look forward to it!
One of the reasons that people dread moving is because so many things can go wrong. It’s easy to forget to do something important or make a simple mistake when there are so many things to keep track of! That’s why the best thing to do to prepare for a move is to get organized before you start packing:
- Make a “master moving list” where you can keep track of the tasks that need to get done and their deadlines. Use a whiteboard or an electronic document to update or change items as you go.
- Before you pack a thing, de-clutter and sort your storage areas. Get rid of stuff you don’t use or don’t need. Working with a friend can make the process faster and easier.
- If organizing doesn’t come naturally to you, let the internet help you. Many sites have comprehensive moving checklists that break down everyday tasks and timelines. They’ll get you started, and you can always edit them to fit your particular moving situation.
Another frustrating aspect of moving is figuring out how, when, and what to pack. How can you keep track of everything and ensure it makes it to your new home in one piece? Taking your time and being smart about how you pack can make a difference:
- Start strategically by packing things you won’t need for a while, like seasonal clothing. You won’t miss them while they’re in storage, and it’s a great way to get the process moving.
- A good way to stay organized while you pack is by carefully labeling your boxes and bags. Be sure to list the area of the house the box belongs in and the approximate contents so you can find the things you’re looking for quickly.
- Keep essentials like utensils and other common-use items packed together. Consider creating a “first-day” box that contains the essentials you need for your first night in your new place, and make sure it’s easily accessible when you arrive.
Take Care of Yourself
It may seem silly to focus on self-care when you’re moving, but it will be a more manageable process for you if you take steps to ensure you’re in the best mental and physical health possible. Taking care of yourself while you take care of a move can be challenging, but it can be done:
- Be sure to do everything you can to get enough sleep, enough food, and enough exercise. The better care you take of your physical health, the easier the move will be.
- Go slowly, take breaks, and give yourself rewards for hitting milestones. Moving is hard, so be kind to yourself and keep yourself motivated!
- Don’t go through it alone. Friends and family can help you pack, tidy, organize, or lend an ear when you need to vent. Reach out for help when you need it.
We hope these tips for a stress-free move make the process as easy as possible for you. Good luck!
Are you looking for a premier assisted living and memory care community in the heart of downtown Greenville, South Carolina? Visit us at Waterstone on Augusta. Our community is beautiful, relaxing and elegant, and we strive to enhance the quality of life of the seniors we serve through teamwork and unity. To learn more about our amenities and to view our lovely community, please schedule a tour online or call us today at 864-605-7236.